Friday, September 12, 2014

TOW #2 "Story"


This past Wednesday, I was privileged to listen to the Wissahickon guest speaker, Alex.  His speech was entitled Story, which he gave to the audience, a group of 11th and 12th grade students.  Very attentive 11th grades, might I add.  And we were so attentive, because Alex was hands down the best speaker that Wissahickon had ever seen.  Well, that’s my opinion, but everyone should agree with me.  Let’s start with the basics.  Alex’s speech was on the hard-to-find-a-consistent-definition topic hate.  And instead of lecturing us about how bad of people, Alex connected with us, telling us through his words and through the visual aspects.  The speech was a compilation of narratives, both from Alex’s life and from the lives of people close to him.  But, even with the effective used of narratives, it wasn’t that which kept my attention.  It was the visual aspects of the speech. 

As I walked into the auditorium, ready for a good 45 minute session of eye-clawing-out boredom, I was greeted to a young, blond man with a simple PowerPoint entitled Story.  It took me aback, because usually guest speakers make two mistakes: thinking that teens need to be thoroughly distracted with a slideshow crammed with pictures or the idea that a 40 year old can ever actually tell teenagers what to do.  So, already standing there with the correct PowerPoint, Alex had my friends and mine’s attention.  Ok, now that he had our attention, how was he going to keep it?  During his presentation, Alex moved a lot.  Now, that may not seem significant, but the constant walking around made the audience move to see him.  Those brief moments of movement helped, especially for me, kept me from nodding off.  Finally, he kept most of the attention off of the PowerPoint.  Most presenters using PowerPoint tend to bullet point the things they wish to mention.  Well, I can read, so I read their bullet points, know what they are saying, and stop paying attention.  Alex’s slideshow had a title, a picture, and maybe a short blurb.  He used it less of a notecard and more of a visual.  My favorite part of the presentation was when he showed us the picture The Weeping Woman by Pablo Picasso.   
Weeping Woman, By Pablo Picasso
She really does not look like a real human, therefore is dehumanized

He used the point that the painting does not show a human as we know them.  He made a very effective point about dehumanization and what it can do to people, while using the visual to relate an abstract idea to a concrete visual aid.  I left that auditorium thinking, which I rarely do after guest speaker, but not just because of what he said.  It was the use of positive visual manipulation that he kept my attention and hopefully the attention of everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment